Saturday, 6 October 2007



2 cups milk
1 cup marigold petals
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
1 to 2-inch piece vanilla bean
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. rose water
Whipped cream

Using a clean mortar and pestle reserved for cooking purposes,
pound marigold petals. Or, crush with a spoon. Mix the salt, sugar
and spices together. Scald milk with the marigolds and the vanilla
bean. Remove the vanilla bean and add the slightly beaten yolks and
dry ingredients. Cook on low heat. When the mixture coats a spoon,
add rose water and cool.

Chicken Bread-Pie

4 slices toast
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup milk
2 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp. dill
3 cups cooked, diced chicken
5 oz. frozen peas, thawed
5 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed
1 onion, chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and thinly sliced
4 slices bread

Preheat oven to 400. Grease an 8x8 inch pan. Lay the toast on the bottom of the pan. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan. Mix in the flour to form a paste. Add the milk a little at a time, stir until smooth. Stir in the broth, dill, salt, and pepper. Mix in the chicken, peas, broccoli, and onion. Lay half the egg slices on the toast. Pour on the creamed chicken. Top with the remaining egg slices. Cover with the bread slices. Bake until hot, about 20 minutes.

Beltane Spiral Goddess

1 tbsp. dry yeast (one packet
1/4 cup warm water
pinch of sugar
8 tbsp. butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk at room temperature
1 tbsp orange zest, minced or grated
pinch of salt
4 1/2 - 5 1/2 cup flour
1 cup raisins
2 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. honey
1 egg white

Combine yeast and water, sprinkle with the pinch of sugar and let it set until foamy. Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the eggs, milk, orange peel, yeast mixture, and salt. Mix in the first 3 cups of flour 1 cup at a time, first with a whisk, then with a wooden spoon. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until mixture is too stiff to beat. Turn out onto a flat surface dusted with flour and knead, adding flour until dough is silky and barely dry. Continue kneading for a few minutes. Put dough in lightly oiled bowl, turn the dough over, and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until 80 percent doubled in size. Punch down and divide the loaf into two parts, one about 60 percent of the dough and the other 40 percent. Roll the larger part into a long coil about 2 inches in diameter. On a lightly oiled cookie sheet, wind the long coil into a spiral. From the second piece of dough, pinch off a piece about as big as a ping pong ball and set aside. Roll the rest out into a coil the same width as the first piece and form the rest of the Goddess. Use the remaining piece as her head. Cover with a clean cloth and set in a warm place. Let rise until almost doubled; this bread has egg in it and will rise even more in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes in a preheated 350 oven or until it tests done. When the loaf is still warm, glaze over it and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments: